Pain medication often is a part of surgical care. Twin Cities Spine Center (TC Spine) physicians can prescribe pain medication for a limited time. If ongoing pain management is needed, you will be referred to your primary physician or a pain management physician.
It is important that you share all current medication use (prescribed by any doctor) with your TC Spine doctor.
Medication Refill Request
TC Spine providers do not routinely manage patient's pain medications. If medications are prescribed for you, please review the following information.
Postoperative patients will receive specific information about refills during the postoperative period.
Medications are refilled Monday through Friday during business hours only, between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.
Medications are not refilled on evenings or weekends.
Please contact your nurse directly to request medication refills.
Please allow 72 hours for refill requests to be addressed. A nurse clinician or physician's assistant may contact you if there are any questions about your request for a refill.
Keep these suggestions in mind when taking pain medication:
- Call your physician's nurse clinician if you feel dizzy, nauseated or itchy after taking medication.
- If you feel the medication is not adequate for pain relief, discuss this with the physician or nurse; do not increase the prescribed amount of medication without physician approval.
- Many pain medications contain acetaminophen. Pharmacists recommend that acetaminophen intake should be limited to no more than 3,250 mg in 24 hours. Liver damage can occur when these amounts are exceeded. Acetaminophen may also be found in other over-the-counter medications such as cough and cold medications.
- Never mix any prescription medication with alcohol.
- Do not drive motorized vehicles while taking prescription medication as they may cause drowsiness.
- Pain medication can be constipating. To avoid this, eat a well-balanced diet including fresh fruits, raw vegetables and other fiber-rich foods.
- Drink six to eight large glasses of water per day.